National Library of Sport
Presentation and access to Biblionet
The National Library of Sport provides national and international audiences with a significant collection of the history of sport in Portugal and has a collection of around 60,000 registered items. Here, it is possible to find the most recent and important modern monographs on sport and some examples of particular historical relevance. For example: the book «De Arte Gymnastica», by Hieronymi Mercurialis, 1577 – considered the first sports book published in the world – or the «Arte da Caça da Altanaria», by D. Francisco de Mello, from 1616 – one of the first books on sport related to hunting – the «Treatise on Physical Education of Children, for the Use of the Portuguese Nation», by Francisco de Manuel Franco, published by the Royal Academy of Sciences, in 1740, or «Ginnastica Femminil», by F. Valletti, edited by the Royal House of Milan, in 1892.
The National Library of Sport aims to contribute to meeting the information needs of users who request it, within the scope of the mission and attributions of the National Sports Museum and the Portuguese Institute of Sport and Youth (IPDJ) where it is integrated. It must, therefore, acquire and process all information with a view to making it accessible.
Documentary collection of the National Library of Sport
The Knowledge Center of the IPDJ Portal is an online space that aims to facilitate access to information on the two areas of intervention of the IPDJ, I.P.: sport and youth.
It is based on information available in the Biblionet - Library of the National Sports Museum (BND) and Youth Documentation Centre.
Documentation Center | Sport
The sports area provides a significant collection on this theme, based on around 60,000 copies available at the National Library of Sport:
• Periodic publications;
• Bibliographic species in audio, video and digital media.
The collection of monographs ranges from the historical bibliography, whose oldest work dates back to 1577, to the most recent publications on sports.
We highlight a numerous and valuable set of works published in the nineteenth century, as well as from the first half of the twentieth century.
The collection of periodicals comprises practically all representative and relevant titles from the sports world, as well as others of general interest.
Publications with IPDJ edition – Sport
In order to promote the access and interest of citizens in Sport, the IPDJ has published several works with articles related to this theme.
Services provided by the Library
• Face-to-face consultation of the works that make up its collections;
• Online bibliographic catalog;
• Digitization and reprography.
How does this service work?
Through the website of the National Library of Sport you can:
• Consult the catalog and obtain information about copies and the location of documents in the library. The catalog consultation is open access;
• If you are a registered user, you can have access to the reservation and renewal services for documents.
To access some features of this online service, you must be registered. Depending on admission conditions, you may have access to certain services such as: renewals, reservations, etc.
See library policy for more information about this service.
Authorization of access after registration is subject to confirmation by the library.
• National and foreign researchers;
• Undergraduate, masters and doctoral students from courses related to Sport or other scientific areas (History, Sociology, Anthropology, etc.);
• Higher education professors in courses related to Sport or other scientific areas;
• Students and teachers of primary and secondary education;
• Technicians and employees of the IPDJ – Portuguese Institute of Sport and Youth;
• General public.